Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Deep Strike Mishap...

The scenery bug bit me recently, and I've found myself constantly thinking about making various pieces of terrain.

The construction of my stompa, "The Ramblin' Wreck" left me with the battered remains of a drop pod. All told, I had a little less than half of a complete pod, so naturally I thought to turn it into a terrain piece. This is the WIP shot as it stands now.

Pretty basic construction, really. I mocked up the angle I wanted the pod to sit at, then cut a somewhat organic shape from masonite. I glued the drop pod in place and built up sand drifts in various spots with modeling putty. After that, I flocked the entire base, and sealed it with two coats of watered down pva glue.

I still need to add a bit of battle damage before primer and paint, mainly bullet holes and various chips and scratches. Possibly a snotling or two in the rubble, trying to salvage some bits of scrap. I plan to paint it in my Fire Hawks scheme, with little or no graffiti to suggest that it is a fairly recent wreck, before the lads find it and set about lootin' the worky bits. More to come on this project, stay tuned!


  1. Wow! That's definitely going to add narrative to the table and is really well done. I love the hollow.

  2. Thanks! I've managed to seal and base coat, though the holidays have been super busy and progress has slowed dramatically. I hope to get some paint updates soon.